A reenactor plays the Lute in the Great Hall at Hampton Court.
[Photo copyright the author]
The Lute Society of America has a useful selection of clips on YouTube "illustrating the use of the lute and vihuela in various styles of music". (will open in new window)
- Asteria performing fifteenth century music.
- Paul O’Dette performing sixteenth century lute music.
- Hopkinson Smith performing sixteenth century vihuela music.
- Nigel North performing John Dowland (written ca. 1600).
- Robert Barto performing eighteenth century lute music by Silvius Leopold Weiss.
- Robert Barto – an Allegro movement from a Weiss Sonata.
- Ronn McFarlane performing two of his own contemporary compositions.